Friday, September 18, 2015

Last Month in the Fortress

Finally I am writing just a night before my record breaking long run tomorrow. Fortress here means Mumbai, where I was born and nurtured and brought up etc etc. . . Last month? Thanks to globalization and what not, I will be moving to Chennai for my new (first) job as a researcher. More on that later, but I will surely share my side of story of the training I so far went through. A paragraph on my running update and next target. Finally I'll try to peek inside and see what I feel about the precious Last Month.

Let me start with the job. I started training from 7th September 2015 and a brief summary of day can be found in my previous post titled - Day 1 for an Igniter. Next few days were bit hectic and few, very few, chilled ones. I got used to travelling for 90 mins one way to get used to office. Then long hours in the office and cafe 4X4 and lectures. 23 of new GETs/PGETs (henceforth when GET used for group will include PGET also, unless stated otherwise) are stationed in Kandivali for training purpose. We were divided into 6 groups of 4 each except one. Each group would visit a particular system (transmission, engine, assemble, etc) for 3 4 days and learn as much as one can. Lunch session suddenly got more interesting since all the 6 teams would come together and share their experiences.

A good time to introduce my team, Shraddha - our leader, Rohit and Kartik and myself. Rohit is MTech from IIT in Mechanical and guitarist. Kartik, Mechanical Engineering and MS from London in automobile engineering. I clarify most of my silly doubts with his help. The two guys are so chilled and relaxed so unlike me. Chilled here doesn't refer to training and enthusiasm for learning. Chilled here means not getting entangled into any unnecessary or unwanted tensions at all. Both will be moving to MRV Chennai with me after training season. Finally the leader comes in Shraddha, GET in Industrial engineering. Very eager to learn all auto terminologies. Reminds me of my GET days, when I used to get overwhelmed just by the sight of a pneumatic wrench. Shraddha - you just need to hear her laugh to know all about her. Ask her anything about MOST or ergonomics and, and I won't describe what happens next. You better experience it yourself. Not all group secrets are to be made secret :P. I failed in Japanese proficiency test few months back, but I am learning Bengali from our BONG leader.

I change three trains to get to my office and after few days, I found a good window of reading books. Metro and western railways are less crowded in the direction that I travel and I get more than 25 mins of reading time one way. That is 50+ mins of reading daily. I wake up just in time in morning and so no stretching or yoga but then again there is way to compensate it. I generally walk from Kandivali station to office, around 20 to 25 mins of walking. In a day it accounts for 1 hour of walking, which is better than zero workout. The attitude of what I was few years ago and what I am is reflected in the way I look at the things that just happen. I feared and never wanted to travel from home to Kandivali daily, but company policy made sure the worst thought scenarios become a reality. Result is, now I am very much happy about the way things are placed. Maa k hath ka khana mil jata hai yaar :)

Runing, last week got early leave one of the day, I came home, ate and slept. But something inside me kicked up and ended up running 6+ kms starting 6pm. Then came Sunday and I planned 15 miles, but ended up running 10 miles, not bad, but a surely there is a scope for improvement. I wasn't tired after run, even though I ran just once a week. I assumed I was in good fitness, but the the recovery period between your runs is another parameter of fitness. I took 2 days to fully recover from the calf pain. Yesterday was 5 mile run, like a walk in a park. Again i'll aim for the stars tomorrow (25 kms, just over 15 miles) and I am determined to atleast touch the nearest one.

18th of October, Sunday is the day I will be moving south of India. Finally a time for proper good bye will come. I don't know what and how will it be. I can't imagine or predict the scene of platform and parents and near and dear ones. Let us just keep the topic changing here itself for a month more. One thing is for sure, actually realisation of moving into other territory will seep in after December 2015.


I'll end by quoting a dialogue from the movie 'Men of Honor' by Master Chief Billy Sunday

The Navy Diver is not a fighting man, he is a salvage expert. If it is lost underwater, he finds it. If it's sunk, he brings it up. If it's in the way, he moves it. If he's lucky, he will die young, 200 feet beneath the waves, for that is the closest he'll ever get to being a hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment